Tales from 'The Rocking Horse' (it's the store I work at)
So I get to work today, thinking it is another typically slow toy store day. The courier/delivery guy comes in and says he's got boxes. I think to myself, "Great! More toys to fill the already jam-packed, tiny storage area that currently looks like a tornado hit. I didn't even have time to start organizing all that new inventory. Oh well, it can't be any worse." Except that the guy says he's got 45 boxes for us. What? I had to ask him twice, just to be sure. Sure enough, he carts in 45 boxes. Then another delivery comes in, another 5 boxes, as if 45 weren't enough. And of all days, our other store's boxes decide to come in too, so add another...oh, 8 boxes? I'm swimming in cardboard boxes full of toys, games, crafts.
To make the day even more insane, the other store needs a part of their order boxed up to make tomorrow's FedEx pickup, so that they can fulfill a request for items to a community college by Thursday. My co-worker and I had to tear through all 45 boxes, looking for two particular items that could be in any of what was more likely 7o boxes, as there were oodles of smaller boxes within many of the 45 boxes. Ah! So what do you know? The items we wanted turn up in a box near the middle of our box mountain, and also the very last box we open. Sigh...this is when the store looks like a war zone, as we "tossed" box after box aside, and customers had to weave around all our boxes. Some sections of toys were rendered inaccessible.
I ended my crazy work day with a glorious piece of carrot cake from my co-worker! And a little bit of time to hunt for desperately needed new shoes.
I head back to the war zone tomorrow. Yahoo! :) At least I'll have a goldfish for company, as we have a new store pet! Just look, don't touch! (Previous store pets have met their death because someone stuck their hand into the bowl to see if it was just a toy.)
To make the day even more insane, the other store needs a part of their order boxed up to make tomorrow's FedEx pickup, so that they can fulfill a request for items to a community college by Thursday. My co-worker and I had to tear through all 45 boxes, looking for two particular items that could be in any of what was more likely 7o boxes, as there were oodles of smaller boxes within many of the 45 boxes. Ah! So what do you know? The items we wanted turn up in a box near the middle of our box mountain, and also the very last box we open. Sigh...this is when the store looks like a war zone, as we "tossed" box after box aside, and customers had to weave around all our boxes. Some sections of toys were rendered inaccessible.
I ended my crazy work day with a glorious piece of carrot cake from my co-worker! And a little bit of time to hunt for desperately needed new shoes.
I head back to the war zone tomorrow. Yahoo! :) At least I'll have a goldfish for company, as we have a new store pet! Just look, don't touch! (Previous store pets have met their death because someone stuck their hand into the bowl to see if it was just a toy.)
